Weekend Recap: Hot Yoga, Sunday Runday, Dangerous Candy

Hey der, Monday.  After a much needed relaxing weekend, I’m so ready to tackle my crazy, routine-less week.

Weekend Recap:

Saturday=Hot Yoga.  I had some students from an organization I advise call me during the yoga session.  Obviously my phone is silenced and in another room so I couldn’t immediately respond to them.  I had a few moments of guilt that I wasn’t available until I started thinking that my workouts/yoga sessions are for ME.  My work schedule and the demands of the job leave little by means of relaxing or down time.  I consider my workouts & yoga my “church”.  Since the “sorry, I was at church and couldn’t talk” seems to be an acceptable excuse, that’s how I will justify missing phone calls during those times.

ANYHOO, I was a little nervous for the yoga session since I’d been battling some lung congestion & inflammation.  But apparently yoga does wonders and my breathing was phenomenal after 10-15 minutes of yogi breathing.  Yoga is creeping up there with running, friends.  There are 2 teachers that I really find comfort in and one of them was the instructor on Saturday.  It really makes a difference in the way you practice when you like the instructor.  And a better practice makes for a much better day (physically & emotionally).  Woo!

I came home, changed out of my super-sweaty clothes and recharged more with some laundry, light cleaning, and granola-makin’.  I had some weird issues with dizziness and feelings of absolute fatigue after breakfast so I parked my butt on the couch for the rest of the day.

Sunday Runday:  I woke up around 5:45am to squeeze in a 3+hr workout.  Before I left for the gym, something told me to check my ipod.  I’m glad I did because it was dead.  I charged it for a few minutes at home and in the car on the way there.  Unfortunately it only had 4-miles worth of battery.  So I did a 12-mile run on the treadmill with only 4 miles of ipod inspiration.  Strangely, I always feel that my runs without my ipod blaring go faster.  My mind really takes over and I start singing songs in my head and solving all the problems of the world :).  My lungs didn’t feel too hot in the first mile or 2 but they got their act together and we (my lungs and I) had a nice run.  Only 1 more long run (13-miler) before I decrease to rest up for March 24th.  Woo!  I’m ready to be done with the 3hr workouts.

I guzzled a yummy protein smoothie when I got home:

  • 1 small banana
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 scoop sugar free protein powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp powdered peanut butter
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 cup of ice

It tasted amazing!  By far my favorite post-workout smoothie.  I had some whole wheat protein pancakes in the freezer (left over from last weekend’s post-run meal) and those were a nice “finisher” to my breakfast.  Don’t forget the 2 massive cups of coffee, too!

I couched it up the rest of the day until it was time for the Sunday meal-of-the-day.  We cooked 3 mini pizzas: Mediterranean, Traditional, Chicken Gorgonzola.

Mediterranean Pizza

  • 1 whole wheat flat bread
  • baby spinach (1st layer)
  • grilled chicken (2nd layer)
  • sliced kalamata olives
  • crumbled fat-free feta
  • diced red pepper

Traditional Pizza

  • 1 whole wheat flat bread
  • Low-sugar pizza sauce
  • 2% shredded mozzarella
  • turkey pepperoni
  • sliced black olives

Chicken Gorgonzola Pizza

  • 1 whole wheat flat bread
  • thin layer of pesto
  • thin layer of baby spinach
  • grilled chicken
  • lots of crumbled gorgonzola

YUM!!!  I loved them all and I’m obsessed with gorgonzola, but there’s something to be said about a traditional pizza!

Awkward Moment:  Strange to have one on a Sunday since I only interact with one person…but I somehow managed to slice (yes, ‘slice’, not an exaggeration) my tongue on a piece of hard candy.  To curb my sweet tooth, I was enjoying a sugar-free cinnamon hard candy.  It apparently had an air bubble in the middle of the candy that created a CRAZY-sharp edge.  My tongue slid right over the sharp edge, and WOW!  Apparently tongues bleed A LOT when they get cut.  Sadly, my first thought was, “NO! I hope it doesn’t hinder my pizza & diet cream soda experience!”.  Ridiculous, I know.  But when you run 12 miles and that pizza and soda was the only thing keeping you going, there’s a lot weighing on that meal.

You will be happy to know the “injury site” is 95% healed already.  I can’t believe it.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s